Elton Reservoir, Radcliffe, Bury
The proposals for the Elton Reservoir will create a new parkland community of lasting quality. It will provide around 3,500 family and affordable homes and deliver extensive new accessible green and blue infrastructure that enhances biodiversity and provides a recreational destination. The new neighbourhood will create a sustainable place with a unique character.
Have Your Say
Residents of Radcliffe and Bury are being asked for their feedback on the exciting plans for this new sustainable neighbourhood – an investment in the area of over half a billion pounds.
- Affordable and family homes for the local community
- Provision of a strategic link road to alleviate congestion through both Radcliffe and Bury town centres
- Provision of a new Metrolink stop between Bury and Radcliffe
- Provision on land for new primary schools
- The creation of a “destination” parkland, providing a multifunctional green and blue infrastructure network, including the retention, enhancement and creation of footpaths and cycleways
- Enhancement of the reservoirs and canal to provide opportunities for water-based recreation
- £485 million estimated investment in the construction of the proposed development
- 535 estimates jobs supported in retail and leisure businesses annually
- £94.5 million estimated uplift in gross annual income from new employed residents
- £24.9 million additional New Homes Bonus revenue
- Provision of services and facilities to meet local needs, including schools, local centres, green and blue infrastructure and children’s play space
- A substantial network of leisure resources, including a “destination” parkland with enhanced public access, areas of active recreation, increased biodiversity and improved natural habitats
- High-quality place making which integrates the built and natural environment to provide an attractive neighbourhood with lasting character
- Management and maintenance of valued habitats, including Sites of Biological Importance, to enhance biodiversity value
- A new north-south link road, with a connection to Radcliffe, to alleviate congestion in the local highway network
- New transport infrastructure, including a new Metrolink stop and Park & Ride between Bury and Radcliffe
- Enhanced bus services to maximise local take-up
- Retained, enhanced and new footpath and cycleways
Community projects that are personal to the area and that the local people feel proud of
Our land and communities team focus on creating places for people to thrive, where everything is considered and developed for a more sustainable future for all.
Click on each site below for more information on some of our key projects
A lasting legacy
RHS Garden Bridgewater is one of our most significant legacy projects - read more about the part we played in bringing this project to fruition.
Building a new community
Discover how our carefully designed houses in Westhoughton are helping to help meet the needs of today’s familiries and generations to come.